History

Woodinville Recessional Memorial Mead was the original name of the cemetery.  Mead is a variation of the word meadow.  Recessional means leaving.  Thus, this is the meadow where Woodinville pioneers were buried upon leaving the earthly world.


The land for the cemetery was given by Ira and Susan Woodin who settled here in 1871. On April 4, 1898 Ira and Susan Woodin deeded the southeast acre of their homestead to the Woodinville Cemetery Association, whose members were Thomas Sanders, Gus Jakobson and Emmanuel Nelson.The deed was recorded January 18, 1899 in King County, Volume 233 of Deeds, page 223. On December 31, 1910 Susan and Frank A. Woodin deeded additional land to the Woodinville Cemetery Association, whose members at that time were Nels Carlson, Charles Hoffman and William Jaderholm.


Across the street to the east was the town church. The entrance to the cemetery grounds was originally on 132nd NE directly across the street. Thus, the oldest graves are on the east side of the cemetery grounds in Blocks 1 and 2.

The Board of Directors is guided by the Woodinville Cemetery Association mission statement: To fulfill the wishes of Ira and Susan Woodin to make the southeast two acres of their homestead available to the dead of Woodinville and the surrounding area. The Woodinville Memorial Mead is a pioneer cemetery operated by the Woodinville Cemetery Association, a non-profit 501(c)(13) corporation incorporated in 1985 and staffed by a 12-member board of volunteers. Its EIN is 91-1334756.


From 1912 to about 1950, Woodinville pioneer Elmer Carlberg maintained the cemetery and built many improvements including the original ornate entrance on NE 175th, the fountain, the pergola and most of the landscaping.

As a non-profit organization, the cemetery maintains an endowment fund that assures maintenance in perpetuity.